BAKING CAKES IN
YOUR COBB OVEN
by Margaret Durante
A COUPLE OF TIPS THAT I
HAVE DISCOVERED IN MANY PRACTICE SESSIONS BAKING CAKES IN MY COBB OVEN.
1. 3 heat beads are enough to cook a cake without
burning, anymore beads may result in burnt bottoms, this will also
depend on the weight of the cake.
2. Place the Cobb Oven on a level surface, or you
will end up with a lop sided cake, I use a small spirit level to make
sure the Cobb is level and use small door wedges to level the Cobb.
3. Make sure the tin has high enough sides to stop
the cake from spilling over the edge. Check that the tin fits under the
Cobb lid with the trivet on top of the grill plate & Cobb trivet. I use
the grill plate, Cobb trivet and a small pot trivet to keep the cake
away from the direct heat of the beads.
4. 530 gram and up need the extra side height in
5. Spray the cake tin with spray & cook as well as
using a double layer of baking paper on the bottom.
6. These cakes will take a little longer than the
packet indicates, most cakes will take from 45 mins to 1 hour the 530
gram and up cakes can take up to 1 to 1- 1/2 hrs depending on the
weight, example plain cakes will cook faster than say an apple cake.
VANILLA CAKE, DARK CHOCOLATE add some peppermint
essence to the icing, ORANGE POPPYSEED, APPLE CAKE
(this cake takes longer to cook with the added apple)
WHAT YOU NEED WITH YOUR COBB
1. 1 Small spirit level.
2. 3 or 4 small door wedges or something to help
level the Cobb.
3. Only use Heat Beads as I find they give the
most consistent heat. Use plenty of fire lighters to make sure the beads
are fully lit.
4. I use a small kitchen timer as these cakes take
longer than a traditional oven, easy to forget the time while having fun
5. Baking paper & solid cake tin (I use a spring
form pan) light weight cake tins will burn the cake quickly.
6. Cake cooling rack.
7. See pictures of what I use in my Cobb.
enjoy your Cobb Oven
Thanks to Margaret for this article