What "Icebox" would you recommend ??

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

BillyBS

What "Icebox" would you recommend ??

Post by BillyBS » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:00 pm

Looking to buy another icebox, last one was hopeless, around about the 60-80 litre size. Any recommendations welcome.

Cheers
Cheers
Bill(yBS)

TinkCT

Re: What "Icebox" would you recommend ??

Post by TinkCT » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:02 am

GrantWC

Post by GrantWC » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:49 pm

I would second that, Techniice.

I purchased a package which included a 60L fridge/freezer, the cover, 240/12v transformer, tie down ratchets, ice sheets and a chilli brand esky. I got it on one of their sales and with postage paid about $680. My reason for buying Techniice was on the recommendation of some one who had purchased their Techin Ice esky but mainly on the package price.

Been away on 4 trips with it so far and have had no major issues.

The way I have used mine has varied on each trip as far as powering goes. My first trip I relied solely on a solar panel to keep my battery charged. That failed for a number of reasons, being January summer heat but with overcast days and having it set to -18c. Sucked the life out of my battery.

Second time I didn't have it set so cold, about -2, but had also purchased a 3.4kva generator to top up the battery via the 12v out let plugged into the camper Anderson plug and ctek DC - DC charger while charging phones etc on the 240v outlets.

Third time we only free camped for 2 nights and had power for the rest of trip so power was not an issue.

My last trip was mainly free camping with lots of driving in between, which kept the camper trailer battery charged. I used the solar panel most of the time to keep the battery charged. When I was driving I lowered the temp to -18 and when on battery alone up to -3.

I was use the fridge as a freezer and was transferring frozen water bottles and ice sheets to the esky on all trips. I had frozen meat in the fridge/freezer and vegies, beer, drinks etc in the esky. This seems to work for me.

Bit of an overkill to your question I guess, but that's my cold solution. All horses for courses.

BillyBS

Post by BillyBS » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:00 pm

Cheers GrantWC

Ordered a Tecniice this arvo
Cheers
Bill(yBS)

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:51 am

For best results Techni Ice recommend a minimum of 1 sheet per 7-8 litres of cooler size http://www.techniice.com/dry-ice-packs-usage-tips
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year