Tips For Free Stops..Brissy to Roma then across to Rocky

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

SocialGeoff

Tips For Free Stops..Brissy to Roma then across to Rocky

Post by SocialGeoff » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:49 pm

Hope every one is well and recent trips away been fun...well I am hooking up the tradie trailer and heading for Roma for the Easter Sunday Horse races..from Brisvegas ...as they also have a rodeo , drags etc on as its a big Easter weekend out there and then wish to diagonally cut across to Rockhampton on the coast..so if anyone has some free camping spots they know of it would be appreciated or any tips for the trip on what to see on the way

Regards
SociaGeoff

Guzzi Matt

Re: Tips For Free Stops..Brissy to Roma then across to Rocky

Post by Guzzi Matt » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:42 pm

Hi Geoff,
Not sure if you will drive between Miles and Theodore, but we camped at Glebe Weir which is south of Theodore or 50K north of Taroom. It is a sealed single lane road about 15K from the highway to the Dawson river and Glebe Weir. I was there in 2012 and they did charge $7 per night for a powered site, in an honesty box system. Great place to stay for the low cost, they have toilets only (no showers). Beaut place for a fire on the banks of the wide river, fishing down stream is good too - caught my first ever fish there (yellow belly).

Be warned if you see water taps - it's bore water and within minutes of filling a bucket, the water turns rusty pink. I didn't realise this and put it through my Coleman hot water system, all the pipes turned from clear to pink - doh!

Also, there is a free camp in Theodore itself, on the convergence of the two rivers. Each winter the place is packed out with grey nomads, the council, apparently, loves them in town and doesn't charge them for the privilege of camping, they spend up big in town. How it should be, congats to this council.

Matt
happy camping
Matt

Mitsubishi Pajero, LifeStyle Camper Trailer, and Cedar the Cavoodle.

brownshed

Post by brownshed » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:49 am

Wiki camps is a useful app to download .It has a filter so you can select "free camps" see site photos and read comments, its a bit like an electronic version of camps and considerably cheaper, you can also try before you buy . Hope you enjoy your easter cheers jim

SocialGeoff

Post by SocialGeoff » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:00 pm

Done the journey...and found Glebe Weir was good value...$7 a nite with power...heaps of room...had toilet n shower but be warn ...BORE WATER...
Chinchilla Weir was free and been done up since the last time I was there...but toilets still need a overhaul and still no shower...
Theodore great for a free camp at the end of the main street on the river..has showers n toilets
Cracow Pub gave me a free camp and love the way its set up...just like a NT Pub...well tattooed lol