water pump what psi and lpm would be best for camper sink ?

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

fiesta62

water pump what psi and lpm would be best for camper sink ?

Post by fiesta62 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:54 pm

hi, my plan is to buy a household tap from hardware store connect it to a self priming pressure style water pump and draw water from campers water tank, so i need to buy a water pump but not sure on lpm or psi, like most i want to conserve water , its just to pump water to the sink and really not much will be going on at the sink, so assume around 4.3 lpm would be ok but i'm guessing, i intend on fitting a standard type household kitchen tap so i will be able to adjust water flow, would 4.3 lpm be the go ?

as for p.s.i i'm not sure, i know these pressure pumps will trigger on automatically if it senses a leak anywhere in the connections, so i guess i dont want too much pressure in the hose connections as it might force a leak and turn pump on when i'm not around, so i'm not sure how much psi is enough or too much , any thoughts on what psi ? thanks, tony

CQuinn

Re: water pump what psi and lpm would be best for camper sin

Post by CQuinn » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:47 pm

Have a look at some of the marine pump suppliers like jabsco. The automatic pumps work at around 22 - 35 psi. This pressure is relatively low and wont stress the plumbing but you are right that a leak will empty the tank. What is more likely is a slight leak will cause the pump to rebuild lost pressure and this will be an early warning. Good to have an ON/OFF switch for the pump with easy access so the pump can be turned off. This may also be necessary as you get toward the bottom of the tank water wise. Flow rate of 4l / min is fine.

Craig Quinn

fiesta62

Post by fiesta62 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:04 pm

after researching i figure 3.8 lpm and 35psi max, but i read about guys having issues where tap is off and pressure builds up, when they turn tap on water bursts out with water splashing around everywhere, not sure why seems to me just turn tap on just a bit should be no problem, anyway will go to whitworths boat supplies they have a bunch of pumps will see whats on offer

CQuinn

Post by CQuinn » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:54 pm

I have a pressure pump in my Avan and have no problems with pressure build up. Can be some spitting if line is not primed after a refill but that is only once. I have similar set up in my boat and also no problems. avan use Sureflo pumps, 35 PSI if just a sink, 45 psi and higher flow rate if the van has a shower as well. Whitworths is the way to go.

Craig

fiesta62

Post by fiesta62 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:00 pm

i think i will buy the jabsco par max 1 pump, its 4.2 lpm at 35 psi, should do the job hopefully

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:00 am

Depending on where you wish to place the tap & the amount of room available, there are folding caravan taps which can fold flat to the sink when travelling http://camec.com/plumbing-water-gas/tapware.html

Place a switch in the pumps 12volt line so you can turn it off when not in use or travelling. Use only food grade 12mm tubing & make sure all joins are secured with quality hose fittings. Always worth having a hand pump in the system somewhere as a standby.

If you have not got a drain in the tank I found a simple solution which has not leaked in over 70,000km http://www.campertrailers.org/watertank_drain.htm

A pressure water pump with four litres a minute should be ok for general sink duties. We use a twelve litres per minute pressure pump for a shower & to transfer water from jerrys to the tank via a BEST Water Filter.

Just be careful buying a submersible pump as they need to be in the water or at tank level as they do not pull a head like the pressure pumps.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

fiesta62

Post by fiesta62 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:59 pm

ok thanks for the info, i bought the jabsco par max 1 pump 4.2 lpm at 35psi, jabsco say its perfect for rv campers so i'll give it a go, it has 3/8 connections but came with 12mm adapters so all good, https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_item ... lutePage=7

and bought a cold water tap from kulkyne kampers it swivels up and down and the ad mentions designed for pressure pump use, hopefully both these together work without issues, i will report back on how it goes when i get it installed....... http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Camper-Water- ... livery-tab

fiesta62

Post by fiesta62 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:47 pm

Well bought a jabsco par max 1 pump, 4.2 lpm at 35 psi, hooked it up and it works but if i try to turn water down low the pump runs really rough, and water spits out its not a smooth flow when turned low, so i can only run it full on which is not good, i assume i might need a accumalator tank, i read about these but thought the pump being low volume at 4.2 lpm should run low but no go,

and it didnt prime when connected to camper tank, i had to run hose from pump into bucket of water to prime it, i need to go over all connections in case there is an air leak but all seemed ok, but it did work drawing straight from bucket of water so something is not right in the camper connections

also for a small pump its a noisy bugger, and the whitworths ad for pump says perfect for camper vans but dont mention it will run ruff as guts if tap it turned down Low
i now see the jabsco 11 lpm pump has a built in by pass valve to smooth water flow, ad says no accumalation tank needed, looks like i bought the wrong pump, will talk to whitworths see whats next.......

CQuinn

Post by CQuinn » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:48 pm

Did you try running low volume straight from the bucket? My pump has the bypass but I also would have thought not required but I don't have experience a that. Noise is very much influence by the mounting of the pump and the transmission of the pump vibration via the connecting hoses. Noise level is also a very relative measurement.
Craig Quinn

fiesta62

Post by fiesta62 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:15 am

yes did it from bucket and it still runs really rough down low, i looked up jabsco and now know there warehouse is just 10 minutes from me at brookvale so i will call them and find out if i need accumalator tank or a different pump, this pump idea is becoming more trouble than it worth but i'll keep at it.....