There must be a suitable camp trailer but I can't find it

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Fidon

Re: There must be a suitable camp trailer but I can't find i

Post by Fidon » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:09 pm

barry_4440 wrote:Hi Fidon.
I might make up a separate folding stainless steel wind break for the stove, not sure what height I'd need, any suggestions?.
Hi Barry,
work got in the way again. Need to fix that.

Unfortunately my travels until now I've only ever cooked over the camp fire, with exception of last family trip where the others all had those delightful portable stoves, which had saucepan height at the back and also side wind shields. The point of them being at least saucepan height I believe is so that stuff doesn't blow into the home made custard where it can't be hidden as "secret ingredient for special flavour". :P

In all seriousness, its not just the flames that need guarding from the wind.

Hope that helps a little, hopefully there's someone here who can offer a more experienced point of view....
planning.... to relax

Fidon

Post by Fidon » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:20 pm

progress update:

taking on advise provided, serious discussion has occurred on the home front on the "what can we compromise on" angle.
thanks to all that offered it.

We currently have narrowed the choice down to one brand.
AND... now have a 33 point comparison between 2 different trailers of that brand, decision pending !!! :P

Fi

PS.. Hilux has been ditched as vehicle choice for tow, due to risk of canopy dust and water leaks, good and timely advice, Prado now probable tow.
planning.... to relax

Mel Park

Post by Mel Park » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:02 am

So, what are your finalists?

And with the Prado - remember to spend a few hundred and have a transmission cooler added. I am doing mine soon and haven't yet decided on what to toe behind it.

Ern_Reeders

Post by Ern_Reeders » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:49 am

Fidon wrote:
Ern_Reeders wrote:The Pioneers might suit you. 5 min set up, more for the awning. Built to handle Australian conditions. Good off-road.

http://www.pioneercampers.com/index.php ... ur-campers

I'm picking up my Argyle SE in a few weeks. Made the choice after 12 months' research.

Hi Ern,
would be interested in some feedback on the Argyle when you've had some time with it.
Have looked at similar styles, would be interested to know how hot they get if you don't use the awning, (thinking of the overnight "lazy" stops).

thanks again
Fi
Hi Fi. Just about to go away with it for a week. The awning just stays on the top when not pitched. We opted for a thermal blanket on the tent top as well so all that will cut down heat coming through the roof, but of course without the awning erected direct sun on that side will warm the wall up. However, there's a heap of windows for cross-flow and a gable vent.

So far all that I can add is that the fit and finish are excellent, materials are high quality, wiring and plumbing well protected and panel holes for them sealed.
Cheers, Ern

Pioneer Argyle SE and Isuzu MU-X

Fidon

Post by Fidon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:54 pm

Mel Park wrote:So, what are your finalists?

And with the Prado - remember to spend a few hundred and have a transmission cooler added. I am doing mine soon and haven't yet decided on what to toe behind it.
A 5 year old Ultimate elite gold was the winner, and we are rather happy thus far. The bed set up really isn't an issue I store the folded top sheets and individual single blankets in a pillow case in internal storage hatches too easy. We have overnight set up down to a lazy 2 beers 20 mins start to finish...including the beers. Tents are fast becoming a distant bad dream.... no regrets.

We are also taking on board the pack up by one in an emergency advice given here and are practicing that from the beginnning by alternating who does what each time or at least observing, practice builds confidence, especially when it comes to removing the stabilisers, rehitching, and remembering to turn off the gas on my behalf.

Thanks for the prado tip, we are rethinking the next year's trips to take the pressure off that decision. Tasmania will have to wait. We want to enjoy the camper for a while rather than do another couple of thousands of kms.
planning.... to relax

Ern_Reeders

Post by Ern_Reeders » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:15 pm

Good score. It's an interesting 'left field' design.

Coincidentally I saw 3 Ultimates on the road last week in Gippsland.
Cheers, Ern

Pioneer Argyle SE and Isuzu MU-X

Fidon

Post by Fidon » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:44 pm

Ern_Reeders wrote:Good score. It's an interesting 'left field' design.

Coincidentally I saw 3 Ultimates on the road last week in Gippsland.
Thanks Ern,
its very interesting, the inside fridge / kitchen set up is easily negotiated during on the road days with a thermos and esky complete with lunch already made in the car and a bit of forward planning, what we did with the tent anyway.
Am loving being up off the ground, IF there's a breeze it certainly catches it, can also get a lot more open window air flow "v" privacy being that bit higher.

You know we didn't see one in the 4000+ kms we did last week. BUT we did a lot of minor and back roads, even had it in some lovely red dust, passed the seals check with flying colours.

Fi
planning.... to relax

brownshed

Post by brownshed » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:09 pm

depslibrary wrote:At the end of last year we took delivery of our Echo Kavango from Echo 4x4 Australia and we are very happy with it. It is imported from South Africa but finished off with Australian compliant fittings.
http://www.echo4x4.com.au
we have had 2 canvas campertrailers and now after lots of looking and research we have a kavango and love it....I think a vista is also worth looking at but wouldn't swap it for my kavango cheers jim