Mounting a Bike Rack

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

hoffy

Mounting a Bike Rack

Post by hoffy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:09 pm

Hi all,

I'm after a bit of advice in regards to using a bike rack on my trailer.

I have a light duty Far Horizons trailer (at this stage, I'm a black top towing and caravan park camper only!). These have a centre tube, that can be used to mount a hitch and bike rack on the back.

Is there any laws against mounting a bike rack on the back of a trailer? I've had a look at a few standard tow bar mounted racks and they all specifically state that they are not to be used on the back of a trailer or caravan.

Cheers

robcaz

Re: Mounting a Bike Rack

Post by robcaz » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:38 pm

Hi Hoffy,

The law requires a number plate to be visible at a distance of 20 metres at an angle of 45 degrees on each side & 45 degrees from above.

Each state has its own rules to carrying bikes on the rear of a camper trailer or caravan & number plates. I have been trying for some time to get these laws from the different states road authorities to put an article together on the tech tips page, but I keep getting replies referring to vehicles. When I reply & say it is a camper trailer or caravan I am asking about, they cannot give a definate answer.

So far.....

In NSW you must remove the trailers number plate if it is obscured by the bike & put it onto the bike carrier.

In SA you can buy a bike rack number plate which is the same rego as the tow vehicle & use it on a vehicle or a trailer.

In Qld apparently trailer number plates come in two sizes. The smaller trailer plate must be removed & put onto the bike carrier if it is obscured by the bike. With the larger number an accessory number plate can be obtained with the same rego as the trailer & placed on the bike rack if the original plate is obscured.

In Vic you can buy a bike rack number plate which is the same rego as the trailer.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

hoffy

Post by hoffy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:15 pm

OK, thanks - Number plates can be relatively easily dealt with.

I was more concerned with any other concerns about having bike racks on the back of a trailer.

So, based on what you have just suggested there, there should be no "legal" concern with actually mounting one?

barry_4440

Post by barry_4440 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:29 pm

Hi Hoffy,
I would be careful mounting a rack off the back, cracking at the base is one problem I know of. A caravan repairer friend of mine refuses to mount them on the back because of problems he has had. Think an extra 30kg (depending on your bikes) swinging off your rear. Email me if you need to chat with the repairer for advise.

Cheers
Barry

hoffy

Post by hoffy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:02 pm

OK, thanks for the replies. While I won't be carrying thousands of dollars worth of bikes, I really don't want things to break when I'm many miles from home.....(let alone things falling off on the highway - its never a good look).

Does anyone have any opinion on tow ball racks that can be used on the tow vehicle when towing? I saw these @ SCA, which the manufacturer states can be used when towing:

http://www.stanfred.com.au/product-detail.php?pid=7

leeke0

Post by leeke0 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:43 pm

Hi Hoffy,
We had one before CT days that went on the tow bar of our station wagon. It had a clip that you could let the rack fold down to access the back of the car. We did use it when we had our tent and stuff in a trailer and it worked fine. We haven't used it for a while now as the kids are grown up and moved away, when they come camping with us now, we don't have bikes to carry (just my canoe on the roof).
I probably wouldn't put the bikes at the back of the trailer for the reasons already mentioned.
I don't know where you are but I am north of Brisbane and if it is feasible, you are welcome to try my rack to see if it works for you.
Enjoy yourself.
Malcolm

leeke0

Post by leeke0 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:48 pm

Hoffy, meant to put this link in as my rack looks a bit like this.
http://www.bicyclestore.com.au/pacific- ... rrier.html
Malcolm

WomblingFree

Post by WomblingFree » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:08 am

You might to look at the Thule models. The top part can fold down so when no bikes mounted, you don't have all that metal poking out the rear.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:39 am

In Collyn Rivers ' caravan stability' article in the Australian CamperTrailers Yahoo Group's file section, he says a static weight can be up to five times during the up & down movement of a caravan. Just say a mountain bike weights 15kg & you have two bikes on a rack on the back of the trailer, this 30kg can potentially be 150kg as the trailer goes up & down on uneven roads. This will quickly find the weakest point of the rack.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year