carrying a canoe directly on the camper trailer cover

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

robinsm

carrying a canoe directly on the camper trailer cover

Post by robinsm » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:10 pm

I have just finished building a camper trailer and mounting the tent section. We are going to try it out next week and want to know how we can strap our canoe directly onto the top of the cover of the camper. (12ft GIC tent top) We do not have roof carry bars on the vehicle and I haven't made our boat rack yet (still looking for ideas. What do I need to be aware of and what is the safest way to tie it down (fibreglass 2 seater)

sailorscott

Re: carrying a canoe directly on the camper trailer cover

Post by sailorscott » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:54 am

I carry my outboard on top of the cover but i put the square rubber mats that i use for the floor of the annex underneath it.Make sure you strap it down so it doesnt move and ive never had any damage to the canvas or the cover.With a canoe maybe carrying it the right way up would be better if thats possible because the bottom of the hull is smooth.
Scott

TinkCT

Post by TinkCT » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:20 am

I have carried two kayaks on top of e CT a couple of times. I put a couple of those foam pool noodles between the kayaks and the cover, then strapped them down. No damage. I would recommend carrying them top down, not the other way like sailorscott suggested, as this is far more stable. Good luck.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:15 pm

As long as you cushion the canoe with a mat, rubber etc so not to damage the travel cover I can't see a problem. You could put ratchet straps around the A frame & recovery points on the back of the trailer if you have no rails on the side of the trailer, while also tying the ends of the canoe so it can't move forward or backwards.

We throw lengths of firewood on top at times making sure no sharp bits point down http://www.robcaz.net/camper_nyngan.JPG

There is a rope rail along our trailer that also supports the guards & I use a few ratchet straps to hold everything in place.

For times I take the bike I remove the left peddle & front wheel, turn the handlebar sideways making sure the rear axle is padded on the travel cover http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r222 ... c325a7.jpg
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

SocialGeoff

Post by SocialGeoff » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:19 am

I went to a motorbike shop..or a jet ski shop has some too...they genereally throw them out..they have the steel frames that are used to store the bikes when in transit to the shop...so I grab some of them...used a welder and made a purpose built a frame design for his kayak..light enough to mount to roof racks...and when ya put the kayak in the frame...is snug as a bug and is well secured...will get him to send me a pic of it for you to look at :)

robinsm

Post by robinsm » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:11 pm

SocialGeoff wrote:I went to a motorbike shop..or a jet ski shop has some too...they genereally throw them out..they have the steel frames that are used to store the bikes when in transit to the shop...so I grab some of them...used a welder and made a purpose built a frame design for his kayak..light enough to mount to roof racks...and when ya put the kayak in the frame...is snug as a bug and is well secured...will get him to send me a pic of it for you to look at :)
That would be great thanks.