Generator Advise

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Redback

Re: Generator Advise

Post by Redback » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:28 am

Never had the use for a generator, in fact, never even entered our mind to get one, noisey, smelly pains in the arse.

Our setup, 3way fridge, 12v fridge in the car, DC to DC charger in the camper that charges the camper battery while travelling, when set up, camper battery is charged via a 20watt solar panel

Don't have;

TV/DVDs, only have them at home, we watch bush TV or chat, play games when camping.

Aircon, only used at home, when camping, we sit outside, open windows when inside.

Microwave, only use it at home, we reheat things in a pot, if the coffee or tea goes cold, we make a new one when we go camping.

Don't use anything unless it's 12v or gas, 12v stuff is charged by the car, either when camped and when driving around exploring.

Actually the DC to DC charger will go when it dies, at the moment it's doing an OK job, but we found the 20watt solar panel charges the battery in the camper better, I also found that charging the camper battery via the cars alternator did a better job also, after I hooked up the camper battery via some jumper leads.

We don't use a lot of stuff when camping, we have LED lights and the water pump in the camper, that's it, everything else is done by the car, 12v fridge, charging phones, laptops, iPad, cameras and so on and we cook via a fire or gas stove.

When we go camping we leave home behind and we go camping, because that's what you do when you go camping :roll: :idea:

Of coarse if you are a grey nomad, things are different, that's your home, but please, don't run your genny all night, no generator is quiet at night, make that quiet box that Rob sent the link too, PLEASE 8-)
Cheers Baz

2011 Discovery 4 with the lot
1990 Ex Army Perentie and No 5 Army Trailer
Lightweight Camper Trailer
1973 Kawasaki H2-A triple 2 stroke 750(just restored)
2007 R1200GS Adventure Tourer

Burto51

Re: Generator Advise

Post by Burto51 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:38 am

Wow I have found my long lost twin brother, totally agree.
Microwave, TV, Stereo, Coffee machine, Fridge that's not a camper, its a motel room on wheels ROFLOL :lol: :lol: