Generator Advise

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

GEOFF.PAULINE

Generator Advise

Post by GEOFF.PAULINE » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:12 am

Hi Everybody.

Thinking of buying a Generator as a last resort to power up our 100 a/h battery in the C/T in prolonged bad weather.

I have a 120 w Solar panel for good weather.

We have a 60 ltr Fridge at 4amps on rating plate , 4 led lights at 1 amp each ,LED T.V. at 4 amps used for a couple of hours to watch a movie.

I am looking at the KIPOR brand Generators which are backed by Primus. These are mid range Quality, between Honda/Yamaha & cheapies on E-Bay

The 777 w is $ 499.00 , 1000 w $ 699.00 , 2000 w $ 999.00.

We only go camping when we can , usually a few days or a week at the most , but are looking to do longer trips shortly.

Would the 777 w be powerful enough to recharge the Battery , I know the other 2 will do the job.

Open to all thoughts and advice as usual from everybody.

Have a good day and merry Christmas.

Geoff & Pauline.
MDC Expedition Crusader
Nissan Navara D 40
" Live each day as though it's your last , Because one day you will be right."

Peterr

Re: Generator Advise

Post by Peterr » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Yep , it'll be more than enough ....

It's what I have , for the same purposes!!!!
Peter and Loretta

MDC camper , modded and still modding!

Prime

Post by Prime » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:37 pm

I guess it largely depends on how much current your battery charger would draw from the mains ...

W(Power) = I (current) x V(voltage) ... therefore a 777 Watt generator would be able to deliver about 3.24 Amps (at full load) of current to the battery charger ... if your charger draws less than that you'd be fine.

Bear in mind that 777 watts is relatively small ... you may be severely limiting future prospects of powering other devices like my Aldi coffee maker for example :)

Cheers

Luke
--
Cheeers

Luke JP (Qual) : VK4KYT

Markwr400426

Post by Markwr400426 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:24 pm

I run a 110 litre Waeco fridge plus lights, TV, stereo etc in our camper, and run it off a 240 watt solar panel system with two boat batteries (I'm never away in the camper and boat at the same time). Away for 2 to 3 weeks at a time and rarely (almost never) need to start the generator. The Chinese generator I had died after about 4 or 5 years. No parts of consequence were available. I was about to buy a Yamaha, when Masters released a 909 brand 2.2Kw electric start generator for $549.00, with a 909 day warranty. It runs the 15amp CTEK charger I use for charging the batteries when I need to, and the fridge at the same time. Masters also have a service agent for the 909 brand on the Gold Coast. To top it off, we had a 10% Master discount through the Woolies shopping dockets. We'll see how it goes. I run it for about 10 minutes a month, just to keep it running. I guess I've delayed buying the Yamaha for another few years. Best addition in recent times has been a Victron BM-702 battery Monitor. It shows the state of charge in percentage. The voltmeter wasn't giving a very accurate view of the "state of charge". Money well spent. One quick look at the monitor, and I know how the batteries are really going!
Hope that helps.
Mark
Lifestyle 360 softfloor
Nissan Patrol 4.8 LPG

GEOFF.PAULINE

Post by GEOFF.PAULINE » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks for the reply's

Had a look at the 909's on line and the idea of the coffee machine sounds great at this time of the morning.

Like everything these days the items range from dare I say the expensive but probably top quality of Honda / Yamaha etc at around $ 1700.00 for the 2 kVA down to Gentrax 2 kVA for $ 360.00

Will go for at least 1 kVA and 2 if the boss ( and you know who that is ) releases enough money.

Thanks again.

Geoff & Pauline.
MDC Expedition Crusader
Nissan Navara D 40

WomblingFree

Post by WomblingFree » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Kippors are way noisier than Honda's
You don't want either anywhere near your CT

GEOFF.PAULINE

Post by GEOFF.PAULINE » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:44 pm

Yes I know noise is a concern and one of my considerations , like everyone I have heard generators in the Camping areas and noise is the greatest problem with them.

Most people are considerate with use.

I guess the problem I have is how often will I really use it when considering price and noise.

I believe that a 2kVA could charge the 100 a/h Battery in about 2 hours. If we have good weather for the Solar it may not be needed at all , but alas, 3 days of rain and it would be needed.

Noise is a consideration but my use would only be for a couple of hours in the middle of the day when required in bad weather.

I don't know which way to go , big money/quite unit or less money / more noise for the little use it will probably get.

Thanks , Geoff
MDC Expedition Crusader
Nissan Navara D 40

Peterr

Post by Peterr » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:39 pm

My relative cheapy is no noisier than most others I've heard , it's light to carry , and is rarely used anyway!!!
Peter and Loretta

MDC camper , modded and still modding!

GEOFF.PAULINE

Post by GEOFF.PAULINE » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:01 pm

Thanks Peterr
I am now thinking as you say with the possible little use it may get I do not think a Honda is justified.

Thanks for all the advice and info everybody.

Geoff.
MDC Expedition Crusader
Nissan Navara D 40

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi Geoff,

On the tech tips page you will find an article how John went about building a soundproof box for his Honda http://www.campertrailers.org/soundproof_box.htm

We never stayed in a caravan park hooking up to 240volt to recharge the batteries during our recent 6000 km & 9 week trip. The Redarc BCDC1225 looked after the batteries when driving or via solar when camped.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year