camper trailer for 1-2 people

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

mazzerati

camper trailer for 1-2 people

Post by mazzerati » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:29 pm

Am looking to buy my first second hand camper trailer and am needing suggestions for one that can be easily set up (and packed up) by one person.
Having said that it needs to be able to sleep 2-3 people as my family is visiting for a month from mid April 2015.
Preferably a semi-off road as I like camping in the National Parks, I would use it for weekends away but also for 3-4 weeks camping trips.
Some thoughts have been a motorbike camper trailer, when visiting the Litchfield NP in July last year, a Elite camper trailer caught my eye. A friend suggested CUB and also have looked at a Marlin.
Am in northern NSW, so would like to buy around that area or southern QLD.
I have a Subaru Forester AWD, tow bar: gross trailer mass 300kg and max static ball load: 75kg

robcaz

Re: camper trailer for 1-2 people

Post by robcaz » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:13 am

For easy set up & pack up by one person you can't go past the rear opening hard floor camper trailers. They also have room for a couple of stretchers on the deck to make extra sleeping accommodation.

While a motor bike camper sounds ideal, you will need to set up a kitchen from scratch as you would if tent camping. Most hard floor campers have a slide out kitchen which are easily accessed for a cuppa or lunch on the side of the road when travelling.

Yes CUB had several lightweight rear folding hard floor models which also incorporates their ezi-wind system with a winch & strap to help lowering & raising the hard floor. Have a browse of the CUB website for the tow & ball weight specs you are after for suitable models & then check a few of the for sale sites like our camper trader page, Caravan Camping Sales, http://www.gumtree.com.au etc

If looking at a soft floor camper I would not go any wider than the 10 foot models. Pulling the canvas back over the trailer can be a fairly strenuous job for one person too. Also the cheaper campers seem to have a multitude of poles & spreaders which add extra time when setting up.

If in doubt why not hire a particular make & model for the weekend & see if it suits you.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Ern_Reeders

Post by Ern_Reeders » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:51 am

300 kg max is very limiting.

Sounds like you have the 40 mm towbar on the Forester. Suggest you upgrade to a 50 mm unit.
Cheers, Ern

Pioneer Argyle SE and Isuzu MU-X

mazzerati

Post by mazzerati » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:38 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. Is there any others besides CUB who have a similar ezy-wind system?

Peterr

Post by Peterr » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:58 pm

Peter and Loretta

MDC camper , modded and still modding!

WomblingFree

Post by WomblingFree » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:48 am

Suggest you attend some of the 4x4 camping shows and check out some of what is available.

armbrup

Post by armbrup » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:50 pm

Fitting an "ezi wind system" on a hard floor camper is really easy and cheap so don't let lack of one deter you.
I have made and fitted a strap winch (AFAIR $40 on ebay). I made up a mount from 50MM square tube and bolted it to my stone deflector.
The only trick you have to remember is that you need about 10 metres of strap on the winch.
My camper is a 1997 Camp'o'matic , and I am happy with the result which makes pack up much easier.
I spent some time making sure I could fully open my Discovery 2 rear door including getting a longer square towball holder.

Regards Philip A