Waterproofing canvas on campers

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Stabicraft

Waterproofing canvas on campers

Post by Stabicraft » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi All;

I have just purchased a very old cub campermatic camper trailer.
The canvas was stated as being replaced within the last two years and from the look of it that is probably pretty right.
The annex had not been use until I used it over the Xmas break and was obviously brand new.

However, Im not sure about the canvas waterproofing.
With tents, its best to waterproof your tent every couple of years, with the exception of my latest tent (a Campmore from Diamintina which could stop a bullet, let alone rain).

But how is it with campers?
Does one re-waterproof the camper annually, bi annualy or every 5 years or so?
And if so what would be the best waterproofing that I can use?

My plan is to go on a long trip after June and I am fixing up the camper to meet all my needs, LED lighting, a simple cooking setup and a comfortable bed to sleep in.
There is only two of us My wife and I and we have been tenting nearly all our lives, so the old campomatic is quite a level above the old tent for comfort and convienience.
I am not an off roader, I can go on day trips bush from a civilised camp site if I need to (the real reason is my wife has bad knees and could not cope with too rough a trip or walking on uneven ground).
I will not need water, toilets, massive complex camping facilities, more just a place to sleep in our own bed and to eat.
The campomatic meets all our needs to a tee and has the easiest bed to get into out of all the "lightweight" campers I have looked at.
I see us upgrading eventually, but probably no more than a Koala camper, which is virtually the same camper.

But
I would like to be sure that it is going to be capable of weathering inclement weather without dripping all over us, so Id like to waterproof the canvas with the best material available.
Im assuming you knowlegable and seasoned campers would know what I need.

Any advice, comment or help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

robcaz

Re: Waterproofing canvas on campers

Post by robcaz » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:23 am

There are two types of resealer. A silicone based type like Aqua Proof which is water washup & a wax based like Dry Seal by Joesph Lyddy with a washup in mineral turpentine.

If used on the wrong canvas type it can leave a milky residue, particularly noticeable on dark coloured canvas.

On most camper trailers there is a tag sewn onto it canvas usually around the doorway, with canvas manufacturers name & care instructions. If not, give the camper trailer manufacturer a ring & ask which canvas waterproofer they recommend.

Best way to apply resealer is with a small roller.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Redback

Post by Redback » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:44 am

We used Bradproof, it's not recommended for new canvas, ours was 9yrs old at the time.

Here's a link to their sight.

http://bradmilloutdoor.com.au/products/bradproof/
Cheers Baz

2011 Discovery 4 with the lot
1990 Ex Army Perentie and No 5 Army Trailer
Lightweight Camper Trailer
1973 Kawasaki H2-A triple 2 stroke 750(just restored)
2007 R1200GS Adventure Tourer

Ern_Reeders

Post by Ern_Reeders » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:01 pm

I found resealing Dynaproof canvas an expensive & fairly demanding job. It was needed on the awning roof after 5 years so I did the lot. Other owners have had longer runs.

You might consider doing a test of yours first.

Ours gave plenty of warning.
Cheers, Ern

Pioneer Argyle SE and Isuzu MU-X