Refill water tanks

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

The Nashes

Refill water tanks

Post by The Nashes » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:29 pm

Hi,

We are looking at going away in April to Karijini National Park, Exmouth, Coral Bay and some more places down the west coast until we get home, after about 3 weeks on the road.

My question is as I have never done longer than 8 nights camping I want to see how I would go about refilling my water tanks on the camper trailer and in the ute while we go on this trip.

Any help would be great.
Cheers
Chad & Kristy

robcaz

Re: Refill water tanks

Post by robcaz » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:32 am

Hi Chad & Kristy,

When on the road we top up the camper trailer water tank & at least two of our three jerrys at every opportunity as we do not know where or for how long we will be next. We did a nine week trip late last year & never stayed in a caravan park. There were plenty of taps in parks & servos we could use. It is always courtesy to ask if you could fill a couple of jerrys at a servo. At one servo the bloke was washing the driveway down after a fuel spill so I asked if I could fill a jerry with the hose. :D

On the other hand if you are using caravan parks then no trouble filling the water tank.

We use a BEST Water Filter http://www.campertrailers.org/best_water_filters.htm to fill the water tank to ensure we have safe drinking water. I have also set up a 12volt water pump I can transfer water from jerrys to the water tank via the BEST Filter. We mainly use the water in the jerrys for showering so there is no need to fill them with filtered water.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

The Nashes

Post by The Nashes » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:14 pm

Hi Rob & Carol,

Great thanks heaps for the info Rob, never had the idea to fill at a servo but will keep that in mind.
I will look at getting some filters for the camper trailer when we do this trip if not might have to come up with something else to get us by.
This is a small trip of about 3 or 4 weeks so we can get prepared for our trip around Australia in 2017 we hope.
Cheers
Chad & Kristy

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:03 pm

Hi Chad & Kristy,

Check the discount section of the forum for details on BEST Water Filters. Colin has attended a couple of national meets to tell us how we can have safe drinking water.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

The Nashes

Post by The Nashes » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:07 pm

Hi Rob & Carol,

Thanks very much for that will have a look as it will make a big difference.
Cheers
Chad & Kristy

TinkCT

Post by TinkCT » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:40 pm

And make sure you use drinking grade hose to fill your tanks. You don't want that garden hose plastic taint to your water. Bunnings sells blue drinking water hose a lot cheaper than caravan or camping shops. Just use regular hose fittings.

The Nashes

Post by The Nashes » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:16 am

Cheers thanks for that TinkCT
Cheers
Chad & Kristy