Campomatic Camper Trailers

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

cruiserman80

Campomatic Camper Trailers

Post by cruiserman80 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Currently looking to buy a quality hard floor camper with independent suspension.

Have seen a few Campomatic campers for sale. Was wondering if anyone could provide any feedback on the campomatic?

robcaz

Re: Campomatic Camper Trailers

Post by robcaz » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:08 am

Hi Nige,

A little history..... Campomatic Camper Trailers were designed in New Zealand in the early 60's & by a few years later were being exported to Australia. In the late 80's manufacturing began in Australia under licence to the New Zealand company. A couple of years later the company was bought & all manufacturing was moved here. Around the mid 00's Campomatic was bought by Trak Shak. All manufacturing then moved to China.

Storage space is minimal, however the trailers balance is good, unlike other rear folding campers with a large box mounted on the Aframe making the ball weight heavy.

One of the big pluses is the easy access slide out kitchen for quick roadside stops. The annex can be left on & pulled over the main roof when packing up saving a heap of time zipping it on each time.

All models, even those that are 30 years old, seem to hold their resale value well.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

armbrup

Post by armbrup » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:32 pm

I have owned a 1997 Camp'o'matic Weekender off road with independent suspension for 8 years .

I have found it to be terrific and utterly reliable. I have only replaced a couple of zip sliders in that time and lengthened the swivel clips that hold the kitchen in. Oh and new Koni shocks recently after 17 years and gas struts every now and then as they get stone damaged.
I have added several features such as more storage, and a winch, and recently electric brakes when I found the tare weight was much more than on the plate. I have also changed the stud pattern for the wheels to match my Land Rover.
The canvas is still original, and I have reproofed it twice.
One of the great features of a Camp'o'matic is that you can leave the awning attached and pack it with the main tent. you can choose to use the awning or leave it folded across the top for quick stops.
The camper has not had an easy life going around OZ twice including the GRR, Kulumburu, Plenty highway, Tanami, Savannah Way, Oodnadatta tarck etc etc. It now has red dust ingrained in the Zinc galvanized coating.
I and my wife love it and will not part with it willingly.
Regards Philip A
PS I thought it was 2004 when they stopped making them at Yatala. If you can get a Yatala made one they are terrific, as the bloke who made them was a perfectionist, even cutting the canvas on site, and as I found even made the independent stub axles on site as the bearing thread is different to ALKO.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi Philip,

Yes I meant around 2005, mid 2000 didn't look right when I wrote it. I have edited to mid 00's ;)
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year