Broken (?) Cub cub-o-matic

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

itaylor

Broken (?) Cub cub-o-matic

Post by itaylor » Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:21 pm

I'll try to be brief. I had the left-side wheel come off the trailer at speed on the Sydney to Newcastle freeway. This has bent the chassis so that the canvas doesn't tension properly on the floor when it is flipped over. This seems partly or mainly because the floor doesn't flip over flat to the ground, resting on the edge that abuts the trailer. One effect is that the door zip now has too much tension on it. Also, the roof is noticeably not square, one side higher than the other.

Anyone able to suggest if the chassis is likely to be able to be squared up?

thommo19

Re: Broken (?) Cub cub-o-matic

Post by thommo19 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:00 pm

Hi
Sorry to read about your damage. I would assume that you have notified your Insurance CO.
If this is not covered then I would certainly take the camper back to Cub for them to assess and fix.

Jeff

Rowley

Post by Rowley » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:29 pm

I saw today that Cub campers are on the highway near Raymond Terrace, next to Johhno's Campers they may be able to look at it and help etc

itaylor

Post by itaylor » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:01 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have claimed it on insurance. The age of the camper meant that it as written off, and effectively we were paid out, and kept the trailer for a very reasonable cost.
I did call Cub at Heatherbrae and they referred me to Cub in Sydney. Based on my photos they advised estimated costs for repairs or attempting repairs, and that was the basis for the claim on the insurance company.
Now I am trying to work out the best plan to make the camper useable. At the moment it seems that I should take off the top and the canvas and then see if we can straighten the chassis, or take it to a panel beater to do that/

BigRed

Post by BigRed » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:14 am

I would suggest that any reputable body works could straighten it. They are straightening cars all the time.
Regards Big Red (aka John)

gphcald

Post by gphcald » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:14 pm

How about taking the old chassis out and putting a new on in? that way you get a stronger chassis and can modify it to suit you, a good metal fabricator should be able to do the job

itaylor

Post by itaylor » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess that I need to take the canvas off anyway for the repairs.

Any directions on doing that. Our cub-o-matic has spring loaded struts, but it looks like I just undo all of the screws around the base of the canvas and it should come off?