Towing a Camper Trailer and using a Bike Carrier

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

JRad

Towing a Camper Trailer and using a Bike Carrier

Post by JRad » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:35 pm

I'm just about to take possession of a Conqueror UEV-345.

I would appreciate any advice on the 'simplest' way to carry bicycles at the same time as the camper trailer.

I've been advised of two options (so far).

1. A double hitch that can fit the camper trailer on the lower hitch and a bike carrier on the top hitch, the double hitch has a 250kg rating and the tongue weight of the camper trailer is 50kg (sold at AutoOne, so meets Australian Standards).

2. Fitting a Reece Hitch receiver to the back of the camper trailer, seems like a simple solution, however I've been advised by numerous towbar places in WA that they won't do it as it is illegal and they only have legal set ups for caravans (I guess they'd know the legalities of it?).

I don't want the bicycles on the top of the car.

On top of the camper trailer?, unless there is a very simplistic system for the top of the camper trailer, as currently for a quick set up and flip out is 5min, having said that most of the time would be a full set up, so an easily removable setup.

Getting to the desperate stage now as I have no ideas, I'm thinking that you've seen enough things out there to give me feedback and tell me how EASILY this is solved :)

Fingers crossed.

Andreas

Re: Towing a Camper Trailer and using a Bike Carrier

Post by Andreas » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:36 pm

We have one of the bike racks which clips onto the boot, similar style to this: http://www.anacondastores.com/cycling/b ... BP90026840

On our recent travels saw many different solutions. Some people had a rack mounted on the front draw bar, others had them on the top of their hard-floor camper (has roof rack built in) and others had them on the soft cover covered by a luggage net. I would make sure something like an old blanket is under them to make sure they don't damage the cover.

JRad

Post by JRad » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:16 pm

Thanks for that.

I forgot about the drawbar option, will have to look at the available space, that or the double hitch would be my preferable option.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:51 pm

Probably your best option would be a bike rack that fits over the camper trailers rear spare wheel http://www.candm.com.au/forum/download/file.php?id=6868

If heading off road just be careful the bike wheels do not hang too low behind the camper.

Don't forget the law requires a number plate on the rear of the camper to be visible at a distance of 20 metres at an angle of 45 degrees on each side & 45 degrees from above.

I do not know which state you are in, but each state has its own rules to carrying bikes on the rear of a camper trailer or caravan & number plates. I have been trying for some time to get these laws from the different states road authorities to put an article together on the tech tips page, but I keep getting replies referring to vehicles. When I reply & say it is a camper trailer or caravan I am asking about, they cannot give a definate answer.

So far.....

In NSW you must remove the trailers number plate if it is obscured by the bike & put it onto the bike carrier.

In SA you can buy a bike rack number plate which is the same rego as the tow vehicle & use it on a vehicle or a trailer.

In Qld apparently trailer number plates come in two sizes. The smaller trailer plate must be removed & put onto the bike carrier if it is obscured by the bike. With the larger number an accessory number plate can be obtained with the same rego as the trailer & placed on the bike rack if the original plate is obscured.

In Vic you can buy a bike rack number plate which is the same rego as the trailer.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:01 pm

I just came across this page that will give you a few ideas http://gripsport.com.au/index.php/produ ... ampers-etc
happy camping
Rob & Carol

JRad

Post by JRad » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Thanks so much for that.
The gripstop looks like a good option.
There's another thing I didn't think about, the number plate on the camper trailer.
I can get an answer about the rear number plate law for WA, I do contracts for WA Police and I'm currently doing a contract with the Officer in Charge, State Traffic Enforcement.

Rowley

Post by Rowley » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:55 pm

Hi JRad,
you mean you are getting one of these???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87pHDYhNZNc

Cheers Rowley

JRad

Post by JRad » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:40 pm

Yep, that's the one :)

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:28 am

That would be fantastic if you could get the laws for carrying a bike on the rear of a camper trailer or caravan in WA when the bike covers the camper trailer or caravans number plate. If would be too simple if there was a common rule in all states.

I got a reply from most states for the rear of vehicles, but they get confused when I state I am after the law relating to the rear of camper trailers or caravans. That is when I do not get a reply back.
happy camping
Rob & Carol

JRad

Post by JRad » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:29 am

Robcaz

This is the info in relation to WA law.....

I also asked if it was legal to carry the bikes on the back of a 'camper trailer' as I'd been trying to have a reece hitch fitted and all tow bar places were saying they wouldn't do it as it was illegal.

Yes it is legal so long as they do not project more than 1.2 metres from the rear of the trailer and it doesn’t obscure the number plate, if it does you will have to reposition the number plate and if you do it must have a number plate light attached. Remember a trailer is a vehicle when it is attached to a motor vehicle (subtle difference in the wording just means it’s not self-propelled)

Hope this helps.