Carrying fuel in the drawbar toolbox...

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Robbo

Carrying fuel in the drawbar toolbox...

Post by Robbo » Sun May 17, 2015 9:22 pm

G'day All

Doing a long trip soon and need a few extra jerry cans, in addition to the two that sit in the jerry can brackets on the drawbar.

Have a drawbar toolbox with one side for the fridge and was thinking about storing a couple of Jerrys in the other side. I know a lot of people store a generator in this side, so assume a couple of diesel jerrys would be ok, but thought I'd check with the experts!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Robbo

BigRed

Re: Carrying fuel in the drawbar toolbox...

Post by BigRed » Mon May 18, 2015 9:54 am

I guess it depends on what else you keep in your tool box. Dieso should be fine however because it is almost impossible to set it alight as it's flash point as a vapour is around 52 & 96 degrees C (you can not light it with a match). No matter how well the jerrys are sealed they always seems to exude a little smell so anything that may be subject to tainting should not be (IMHO) stored near them.
Regards Big Red (aka John)

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Mon May 18, 2015 5:53 pm

Thanks John.

Not planning to have anything else in with the Jerry's, but as the fridge is only separated by a dividing wall within the toolbox, I was a bit worried whether stuff in the fridge could get tainted. Would hate to get somewhere remote and find the food tasting like dieso.

Beer should be ok though!

Many thanks

Cheers

Robbo

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Sun May 24, 2015 2:35 pm

It would be a good idea to test the beer every afternoon to make sure it has not been tainted before the lot goes off. If unsure you may need to check several cans. ;)

I would not carry petrol in an enclosed area without ventilation, but diesel is ok. Always leave a little air gap at the top of the diesel jerry to allow for expansion & make sure the jerry is strapped down so it cannot move around.

Also use a plastic or metal jerry that has a AS2906 sticker on it. This is especially true for plastic jerrys, as they made from materials resistant to attack by petrochemicals.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year