Camper Trailers

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

flyfisher63

Camper Trailers

Post by flyfisher63 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:15 pm

Hi Everyone
I am looking at buying a camper trailer? for our family of four, any recommendations, what is the difference between a $5000 camper trailer and a $15000? what ones are made in Australia, I have emailed some of the camper trailer sales websites and they say they are assembled in Australia, but a bit reluctant to tell me where they are manufactured (China) would like to buy new, however would consider second hand? :roll:

robcaz

Re: Camper Trailers

Post by robcaz » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:28 pm

If you intend on travelling along the many corrugated roads & rough tracks around Australia then there is a huge difference in the quality of a cheap & dearer off road trailer mainly because of the quality of components & materials used. This article gives you an idea of what to look for in a purpose built off road trailer that will not leave you stranded on the roadside http://www.campertrailers.org/off_road_trailer.htm

It is unfortunate that some camper trailer manufacturers word their websites to disguise the fact their products are built overseas or all the parts are imported & then assembled here.

Not all Australian camper trailer manufacturers are listed on the Australian Manufactured Camper Trailer Guild website, however it does have a list of its members http://www.australianmanufacturedcampertrailers.org.au/

The group does not push one brand over another, however with the combined help from members who own camper trailers, we hope we can steer you in the right direction & help you make an educated decision to what suits your needs. You will find an insight into buying a camper on the tech tips page under the buying a camper heading including http://www.campertrailers.org/buying_a_ ... railer.htm

I don't think you can go past attending one of the weekend get togethers where you can see a large variety of camper trailer makes & models & more importantly, get an unbiased opinion from their owners. Details of weekends can be found on the upcoming events page http://www.campertrailers.org/upcoming_events.htm You do not have to own a camper trailer to attend & you are also more than welcome to drop in for the day.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

sparkiecol

Post by sparkiecol » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:57 am

There's plenty of difference!
$15,000 would be a turn key operation, plenty of bells and whistles onboard along with a standard of comfort, however,
@ $5,000 your buying a project (or roughing it!), you'll most likely need to add a battery, then lights, connect a charge line to your tow vehicle, figure out how you'll keep charged when parked up, sort your 240volt requirement when camped in a van park etc....

If monies not an issue you'd be wise to spend the 15k, or if your like me and want to do it on a budget, buy the cheapee and gear it up yourself, there's great shopping on the internet!

As for Chinese built.... I've got one and love it. After having looked at all similar priced trailers at the recent Brisvagas 4 x 4 show my Chinese made CT came up trumps in many departments.
. High sided genuine 7 x 4 trailer
6 lockable, alloy plated storage compartments around the gunnels
Off road hitch, at least their quieter than the traditional ball.
welded in all the right places
came with stainless water tank and pump
bigger tent than standard,
Elec brakes, wider wheels, stainless kitchen, stone guard, spacious alloy tool box
All for under 5k.
I've added a battery, associated electrics, upgraded the bed, led lighting , my CT owes me about $5.2k and I'm a happy camper!!
sparkiecol
Hervey Bay

flyfisher63

Post by flyfisher63 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:48 pm

Thanks for your help much appreciated.