Inverters

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

GEOFF.PAULINE

Inverters

Post by GEOFF.PAULINE » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi.
I have an inverter in my camper which I have not used in 2 years.

We only do 3 day camps at this stage but are going to increase the length of time away from Home.

We only have 12v usage at this time , lights , T.V , Fridge , phone Charger, Radio.

If we were to carry the Laptop I would get the adaptor ( 12v to 19v) and only use the Car for this and we do not have a CPAP machine etc.

I can only think of maybe recharging a Battery Drill etc that comes with only a 240v charger if you had a powered site or plenty of Battery power in the camper .

So can I ask the things fellow members use an inverter to power as I,m interested.

Thanks. Geoff.
MDC Expedition Crusader
Nissan Navara D 40
" Live each day as though it's your last , Because one day you will be right."

CQuinn

Re: Inverters

Post by CQuinn » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:08 pm

Only thing I haven't managed to run on 12v Geoff is my camera. I carry a small inverter to charge that but have never used it so far.

GEOFF.PAULINE

Post by GEOFF.PAULINE » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:49 am

CQuinn wrote:Only thing I haven't managed to run on 12v Geoff is my camera. I carry a small inverter to charge that but have never used it so far.
Thanks , Yes Camera is O.K. for the 3 day camps but like yours can only be recharged of 240v , did not think of it , so inverter may have to stay. I was trying to achieve some storage in the compartment it fills.
MDC Expedition Crusader
Nissan Navara D 40

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:20 pm

We bought a 12volt charger for our Canon camera batteries off ebay. The push in 12volt cable didn't fit properly into the charger body after a few trips so I took the connector off & soldered it. :lol:
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

GEOFF.PAULINE

Post by GEOFF.PAULINE » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:14 pm

robcaz wrote:We bought a 12volt charger for our Canon camera batteries off ebay. The push in 12volt cable didn't fit properly into the charger body after a few trips so I took the connector off & soldered it. :lol:
Thanks Rob , Will look at that on e-bay.
MDC Expedition Crusader
Nissan Navara D 40

sparkiecol

Post by sparkiecol » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:51 am

Most items that have the 240v charge option, charge faster off an inverter.
The Vast satellite TV decoder box was 240v only (think you can buy a 12v version now ?) so if you were inclined to want TV in a remote area, the satellite system is they way to go.
In the caravan I had, we'd run the washing machine off the inverter with the batteries charged via 4 solar panels (480watts).
The downside of using the inverter is the amount of battery power used up.
sparkiecol
Hervey Bay

BigRed

Post by BigRed » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:46 am

Unless you have a pure sine wave inverter I would recommend that you wait until you have mains power. Be very careful of charging "modern" battery drill batteries as the newer ones especially with the Li-on batteries are susceptible to power spikes - you can cook your charger in the blink of an eye and a new charger is, often as not, more expensive than a new drill on its own. I guess the same could be said for camera batteries. I only charge camera batteries through the 12v charger (no sine waves there:-))
Regards Big Red (aka John)

jw2170

Post by jw2170 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:50 pm

When we bought out Waeco fridge at the Sydney show, included in the package was a Waeco 150watt "can sized" inverter.

What would that be used for? (Apart from the USB socket)
Jim and Maree
Sydney, NSW

Toyota HiLux V6 2WD Dual Cab
GIC Extreme off road

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:14 am

Hi Jim & Maree,

The Waeco can size 150watt inverter is a modified sine wave inverter. If you have a look on the 240volt accessory you want to run it will have a label stating watts.

The guide to power inverters article on Energy Matters website explains the different types of inverters well & what they can be used for.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year