Under body paint

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

bmac82

Under body paint

Post by bmac82 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:50 pm

Howdy folks. I've just joined the forum, and just at bought my first camper trailer! Firstly, what a great group, I've learnt heaps already. I've bought an old (mid 90s) Trak shak which needs a little tlc over the next few months to get it up to scratch before the weather gets nicer for camping down here in Vic!

It has been repainted sometime in the last few years, in something like kill rust, all over. It isn't too bad, but there are a few spots of surface rust showing through especially underneath. I was thinking of giving the underneath/drawbar etc a prime and painting in either underbody black, the black sound deadener, or chassis black (was looking at super cheap, all of those are made by Septone). Each of them say they do a similar thing, any recommendations which would be better? I will likely apply with brush and roller.

Thanks in advance, Brett

robcaz

Re: Under body paint

Post by robcaz » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:23 pm

Hi Brett,

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations of the purchase of your first camper trailer. The older Trak Shak's fairly bulletproof.

I had a discussion with the painter at work one day about underbody protection. He said not to use a paint that set hard as it would chip with stone damage & allow water under the paint & start to rust. He recommended using something soft that just made a dint.

You will find a few mods members have done to the Trak Shak kitchen & pumping water from the jerrys on the tech tips page http://www.campertrailers.org/tech_tips.htm

Also you will find plenty of info at the weekend get togethers http://www.campertrailers.org/upcoming_events.htm
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year