Solar - how to ?

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

mcake

Solar - how to ?

Post by mcake » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:33 am

Hello All, I'm organising solar for the CAMPER TRAILER and all the bits'n'pieces that go with it. Question is, where should I install the battery in relation to the regulator ? Does the battery normally go in the front "tool" box on the draw bar and the regulator beside it ? The problem with that is you cant keep an eye on the voltage etc while in the van. Would it be more practical for the battery to go say under the lift up double bed and the regulator near the inside entrance somewhere ? Or, the battery in the front tool box and the regulator inside the camper trailer ? So many variations, it's easy to get confused. I know next to nothing about installing solar, but I know what I want. Will be buying solar panel/regulator/2 x 12v reading lights/3 x 12v cig/dual USB sockets and getting a retailer to install.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

BigRed

Re: Solar - how to ?

Post by BigRed » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:31 am

G'day mcake. I have been playing with solar for years but am not an expert. One thing to remember is to keep the lead from your battery to your load as short as possible as there is potentially a large voltage drop on longer leads. The lead from the panel to the regulator can be as long as you want (within reason) as the regulator will hold the voltage (which could be 20-25 volts on a sunny day) to the battery max of around 14 volts.
Regards Big Red (aka John)