Wheel Studs

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Guzzi Matt

Wheel Studs

Post by Guzzi Matt » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi All,

On my recent trip across Australia I noticed that the wheel studs on the camper trailer had become damaged by rocks and dirt spray from the car. The had always been exposed from the day I purchased it and I had become concerned that the thread was damaged making removal of the nuts difficult or worse, snapping the stud. I noticed that the vehicle studs were covered and enquired at a couple of accessory stores about covered (Dome Head) nuts. As they are a long thread, obtaining a nut to suit was difficult and the option was to use an angle grinder to cut off the long stud or continue the search for a suitable nut.

A very simple and quick method was found at a local tyre store who had a variety of lengths and thread sizes to suit. They even had the chamfer on the nut as these are 'nut eccentric hubs' which suits my unit. They cost $2.50 each for a long chrome nut so 12 nuts and a couple of spares set me back $35.00. This will certainly save me from a broken and/or damaged stud when I again head down a long dirt road.

From this

To this
happy camping
Matt

Mitsubishi Pajero, LifeStyle Camper Trailer, and Cedar the Cavoodle.

Ern_Reeders

Re: Wheel Studs

Post by Ern_Reeders » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:00 pm

Nice one Matt.
Cheers, Ern

Pioneer Argyle SE and Isuzu MU-X

armbrup

Re: Wheel Studs

Post by armbrup » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:55 pm

You can always cut them off level with the tops of the nuts, which is how they should be if OEM.

Land Rover always had studs that were exactly the same depth as the nuts thus avoiding the problem of damage or corrosion of the studs damaging the nuts.
Regards Philip A