Want to travel around Aus

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

KevinG

Want to travel around Aus

Post by KevinG » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:44 am

I am planning on doing the lap in the next twelve months as a Grey Nomad. I currently own a Cub Camper Trailer (supermatic tourer). I was looking at updating to a Caravan but like the thought of the camper trailer. We are very new at this and I know there will be a lot of things we need to consider. I wonder what the general thought on this would be. Appreciate any advise. I would not be considered as a handy man.

Guzzi Matt

Re: Want to travel around Aus

Post by Guzzi Matt » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Hi Kevin,

In 2013 my wife and I drove to remote WA (from Brisbane) for a period of employment. Besides the drive to WA, we spent approximately 140 nights under canvas as we have a side fold soft floor camper trailer. We are quite self sufficient therefore it was rare that we needed a caravan park and only then it was good in a CP for security if we wanted to do some shopping and left the CT, washing, fully battery recharge etc.

Whilst in the remote areas we relied on the two solar panels we use therefore you need both a 240v charger and 12v charger. Also ideal to add a 2nd water tank (not sure if you model has just the one).

To me, the best thing about a CT rather than a Caravan, is the smaller size, light weight and ability to go remote localities easier. You will suddenly find that out of the way place that is better accessed by a light weight vehicle, the rough roads which again the CUB may handle better than a van.

On the downside, if you are travelling late into evening, I quite often admired that Caravaners could just climb into bed and prepare a meal easier - especially if it is raining or blowing a gale. The decision also means what season are you going as WA in Summer (Dec/Feb especially) is very warm with 45+ temperatures often occurring daily. We suffered in the CT some day's in high 40's but that gave us the chance to find a place indoors for a spell during the real hot period (i.e. a long pub lunch). We also invested in a good quality 12v fan and that was good comfort at nights especially.

We also noted that a CT brings you outdoors more, you don't have the television, air conditioning and other comforts to remain inside a van. This meant we saw a heap of wildlife - birds, dingoes, camels, insects, plants etc, that others did not see. Actually I took great delight to say to Caravaners "wow, last night I saw.... whilst you were inside, you should have seen it" :mrgreen: .

If you don't mind touring that is driving during the day then setting up at night, pulling it down the next day and driving again, then no worries. Personally, I'd tour with a CT again any day. When I'm old, grey, decrepit and immobile and want to stick to the black top, yep, then i'll get the van. They have their place, just not for me at the moment.

and... enjoy WA, you need about 6 months to fully enjoy that state, it is wonderful.
happy camping
Matt

Mitsubishi Pajero, LifeStyle Camper Trailer, and Cedar the Cavoodle.

KevinG

Post by KevinG » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:53 am

Thanks Matt, some good advise. Being 66 I might be creeping into the old stage bracket but I know what you mean. I think my greatest test will be getting the set up right with solar and maybe a Gen, that's the stuff I need to work out. Thanks again.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi Kevin,

You need to work out where you want to go & will you be taking your camper trailer into the more remote areas with you or perhaps leave the caravan in the safety of a camping area or park & do day drives.

For us the camper goes where we go. We love getting into the remoter spots to camp, exploring the tracks & trails & camping where we end up in the afternoon. :D

It is best to set up an overnight camp as minimal as you can so it does not take long to pack up in the morning. We have found if you use something, then put it away when you have finished with it. Also keeping the awning always attached & pull it out if you only need it cuts down on pack up time. Often only three poles on the awning will do too, you can add spreaders if it is windy.

Probably the best thing about a caravan is you can go inside when the weather is unfavourable & close the door & there is no wet canvas.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

KevinG

Post by KevinG » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:24 am

Thanks for your advice Rob. I realise there is a lot to think about. I might stick to a van, I might not be that adventurous.

Ern_Reeders

Post by Ern_Reeders » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:00 pm

There are an increasing number of hybrid models on the market that may meet your needs. Doesn't Cub do one?

They do get pricey though.

But if you want some semblance of reliable dirt track performance so does a caravan.
Cheers, Ern

Pioneer Argyle SE and Isuzu MU-X

SocialGeoff

Post by SocialGeoff » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:03 am

grey nomading does nothing for me...most of em ego trip n BS in there local club when they get home....u see em all zoom by the look outs etc but get home and say we went here n there....camper trailer way to go...as u can go anywhere and you can light a campfire...ya don't see many stars from a lit up caravan park n don't have a bush tv...a fire lol

Ern_Reeders

Post by Ern_Reeders » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:25 pm

There's a big variety of grey nomad travel out there.
Impossible to generalise the way you have 'SocialGeoff'.
Cheers, Ern

Pioneer Argyle SE and Isuzu MU-X