Charge and load connections for batteries wired in parallel?

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

hickjo

Charge and load connections for batteries wired in parallel?

Post by hickjo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:13 am

Hi all,

Just wired an extra 105Ah battery in parallel with my existing battery (both are identical!) and was wondering about any reasons why I could not have the charge coming into the 1st battery and the load leaving the 2nd battery. I only ask this question because my preference for set up is charge in one and load out the other for no other reason than not having all input/output connections on one battery.
If it is ideal is to charge through + on 1st and - on 2nd as I have seen on many sites, could load be taken through the - on 1st and the + of the 2nd?
Thanks in advance.
John and Leth
D-max LS-M Tour Mate, Oztrek CT

jw2170

Re: Charge and load connections for batteries wired in paral

Post by jw2170 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:09 am

Hi John & Leth,

I have seen that method used on some sites and the logic for using the batterys in that manner.

When I add a second battery, that is also how I intend to do it.

You may find others with differing points of view..
Jim and Maree
Sydney, NSW

Toyota HiLux V6 2WD Dual Cab
GIC Extreme off road

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:18 am

Hi John & Leth,

My preferred method is connecting the two batteries in parallel ie positive to positive & negative to negative so they are a bank. The chargers positive is connected to a positive terminal on one battery & the chargers negative is connect to the negative terminal on the other battery.

The rule of thumb for multistage chargers to suit deep cycle batteries is around 10% to 15% of the battery capacity. That is if you have two 100 amp hour batteries connected in parallel then a 20 to 30 amp multi stage charger would be suitable.

The fusebox is connected to the same terminals on opposite batteries as above.

You will find a diagram from Jamies Touring Solutions in the tech tips page http://www.campertrailers.org/wiring-in ... p-hour.jpg

as well as my diagram from my Redarc install http://www.campertrailers.org/redarcbcdcinstall5a.jpg

Another method is to connect the charger to one battery only. I have asked Collyn Rivers about this & in his opinion he says it makes no difference.

Interesting website with info on http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

quote..... Finally, if you only have 2 batteries, then simply linking them together and taking the main feeds from diagonally opposite corners cannot be improved upon.

quote..... And finally, finally, we keep getting asked where the chargers should be connected to. We didn't address this question because it seemed so blatantly obvious where they should be connected that it never occurred to us that anyone might be unsure. The chargers should always be connected to the same points as the loads. Without exception.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Peterr

Post by Peterr » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:17 pm

Re this comment above..

quote..... And finally, finally, we keep getting asked where the chargers should be connected to. We didn't address this question because it seemed so blatantly obvious where they should be connected that it never occurred to us that anyone might be unsure. The chargers should always be connected to the same points as the loads. Without exception.

I've been a 240V electrical contractor , and an auto electrician , for more years than I care to remember , and I fail to understand the logic behind this comment..

As long as the wiring is suitable, and if done properly it will be , the charger can be connected anywhere ...
Peter and Loretta

MDC camper , modded and still modding!

hickjo

Post by hickjo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:23 pm

Thanks for the replies,

It wasn't blatantly obvious to me why the charge and load should be connected to the same + and - terminals, but that's why I asked for advice. In one side and out the other seemed OK to me if only for neatness of cabling (in my mind at least!). If it is obvious why you shouldn't do it ever, I'd be interested to know why. Thanks again for the prompt advice as usual.
John and Leth

hickjo

Post by hickjo » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi all,

As an aside, after checking out http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html as suggested by Rob I can absolutely see why charge and load should be through the same terminals. Although I think this concept would apply more to the preferred example on the website of 4 batteries wired in such a way as to draw from the bank evenly across all 4 batteries. The same would apply to charging so you would use the same terminals as the the load so as the charge would be applied evenly across the 4 batteries.
Again thanks for the links and advice.
John and Leth