Looking for a camper trailer

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

justins

Looking for a camper trailer

Post by justins » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:34 pm

Hello one and all. With my family, we moved to Milan in December 2014. My employer has pressed the 'return to base' button, so we're coming back at the very start of 2016, after one year, not two as originally planned. We had a Customline Offroad camper trailer, purchased new in 2010 - we sold this in preparation for our move. Now, as we are in the midst of the logistical 'challenge' that is repatriation, my thoughts turn to camping. We still have all our camping accessories, including fridge and stove. But no camper trailer. I should also mention, we're rather short of money, so even though I dream of a new camper trailer that would cost north of $25k, such a luxury simply isn't possible at the moment. Instead, I need to moderate my dreams, and be more pragmatic. So I put it to you all: what to buy and where to look?

Some considerations:
- Family of 5. 3 young girls between 7 and 12. No prospect of any of them sleeping on their own yet.
- Australian made.
- Off-road. In 2012, we spent 3 months driving around the more rugged parts of Australia. We want to be able to do this again. Think Palm Valley in NT...
- 2 weeks in one place. In addition to off-road expeditions, we also love setting up camp in summer for two weeks - Robe, Wilson's Prom etc.
- Simple. We actually prefer to cook on our portable stove on its stand - outside the camper. So no need for a fancy kitchen. Sink, tap, bench space...
- Inner Spring Mattress. This is an absolute must - we had to upgrade to such a mattress on the Customline. This, of course, precludes camper trailers with roof-top tents which have to have folding / come apart mattresses.
- Melbourne. We (will) live in Melbourne. My experience with a QLD-based manufacturer last time has lead me to prefer a Melbourne-based manufacturer, if possible.
- Galvanised chassis / body. Rob's Eagle has inspired me - and having to strip and repaint the Customline after our lap of Oz was not my idea of fun.
- I like 12 volt projects. I installed the Redarc BMS in the Customline along with the battery system and all wiring. I'd actually prefer to do this again, rather than buy a trailer all done.
- I am drawn to compact camper trailers - like the Patriot X1, that can still accommodate all of us.

Maybe by now you're shaking your head. But I think there is a path forward.... Again, inspired by Rob's Eagle, after all the years, and still going strong. And, with new canvas! So, thinking about this, I need a solid, galvanised chassis and good body to start with - canvas condition perhaps less important. If I could find such a project base, I think I could satisfy our requirements, over time, without breaking the budget.

Does anyone have any experience to share in this regard? Anyone know where I could find such a project base? I guess I'm a little nervous; maybe the $4.5k Track Trailer Mirage on caravancampingsales.com.au at the moment is worth a look and could be a good starting point!

Justin
Justin and family - in Italy
Moving back to Aus in the new Year

justins

Re: Looking for a camper trailer

Post by justins » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:43 pm

Thinking more about this (whilst Australia sleeps in preparation for Father Christmas' visit...), how do you work out whether a different tent will fit an existing trailer? Rob, you did this - was this only after carefully measuring the bed height and camper dimensions?

In anticipation, thanks!
Justin and family - in Italy
Moving back to Aus in the new Year

robcaz

Re: Looking for a camper trailer

Post by robcaz » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:17 am

Hi Justin, Kathy & girls,

Great to hear from you. I hope you have had time to explore around Italy a little while you have been there.

Most camper trailer tents are manufactured to fit a 7foot x 4foot box trailer with a comfortable overhang all the way around. The All Terrain Camper Trailer 14foot model was very close to what we had in mind & they custom built the canvas to suit our Track Trailer Eagle. Here is a link so everyone knows what we are talking about http://www.campertrailers.org/robcazeag ... update.htm It wasn't cheap but we are looking at keeping the camper for a further number of years over the 25 years we have already owned it, as it suits our 'getting off the beaten track' exploring & camping. All Terrrain no long manufacture camper trailers, however they do some canvas work.

The galvanised hot dipped trailer has been no maintenance in all these years especially after being stored in the yard outside only a couple of blocks from the ocean for most of its life. The underside is peppered with stone chips but no rust.

Later model Eagle's had a bedroom that could be zipped onto the side of the tent which would give the girls bedroom space while allowing free floor space inside the tent area. On the other hand you could get a zip on room made up onto one end for the girls. Currently Eagles are going for between $7,000 & $10,000 plus.

If you want any info please feel free to ask, you have my email. Hope this helps.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year