Dometic 3 Way Fridge

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

jeggles

Re: Dometic 3 Way Fridge

Post by jeggles » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:07 pm

Hi Tim,

When you say that you cut a vent on the top, do you mean you cut a vent in what becomes the floor or did you put it in the side wall? What did you use for internal and external coverings for the vent?

I recently acquired a 2004 Cub Supamatic and I have had all the same problems I am sure everyone else has had with the heat generated by the fridge when the camper is closed. I will give the other suggestions listed here a go before I resort to cutting holes in the beast but I am still curious to know what you did. There is not a lot of space to cut an upper vent in the side of a Supamatic and a top mounted vent with some baffles would work best for airflow.

Cheers,
Jim

timsgonecamping

Re: Dometic 3 Way Fridge

Post by timsgonecamping » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:13 pm

Hi Jim

I cut a vent hole in the top of the fridge case just to try and improve the airflow over the condenser pipes in the back of the fridge when the camper was open. No great improvement.
I gave up trying to run it when the camper was closed. It ended up just being a drinks fridge so I just turned it off when we were driving and turned it back on when we set up camp.
I ended up replacing the fridge with a 12V version and it's working out a lot better.
It does mean I have to generate more power to keep it going so I bought a solar blanket to supplement the hard framed solar panel.
Ended up costing a bit for the fridge and extra solar however it was nice to keep things cold when we were up the Cape earlier this year.

Tim
Cub Supamatic Regal + Prado + Tim & Julie