Cub Daintree 2009, gas strut sticks

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Louiseds

Cub Daintree 2009, gas strut sticks

Post by Louiseds » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:22 pm

I have noticed that, on our 2009 Cub Daintree camper, one of the gas struts that supports the hard floor while opening and closing the camper seems to get stuck half way through closing. It simply groans somewhere and becomes very difficult to wind the winch further. Giving the gas struts a manual wiggle seems to free up the tightness, so the winch will wind the rest of the way to closing. I think it groans at the position where the gas strut is at its maximum length. I am wondering if the offending gas strut has been forced in the past (It has had two owners before we bought it) and the shaft has been bent slightly. I have read that lubricating gas struts is a bad idea.

As I see it I have two options. One is to replace the offending strut, or both. The other is to do nothing and stick with the manual wiggle technique.

Comments please, experts?

Peterr

Re: Cub Daintree 2009, gas strut sticks

Post by Peterr » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:20 am

Cheap enough to just replace both of them ! They should have a tag or number on them for identification .... Ebay is good and easy
Peter and Loretta

MDC camper , modded and still modding!

Louiseds

Post by Louiseds » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:07 am

Thanks. : - )

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:48 am

Perhaps the gas has leaked out of the struts. They do have a lifespan. As a matter of interest the shaft must be at the lowest point in the position the strut sits most of the time. This keeps the O ring lubricated so it does not dry out & leak.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Louiseds

Post by Louiseds » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:36 am

Thanks Rob and Carol. They both seem to be still doing their lifting job so i don't think the gas has leaked. And yes, they are fitted the correct way up. I will replace them if it worsens.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:54 pm

You could try some silicone lubricant on the shaft, it does not attract dust like WD40. Great for zips too. I have been using it as lubricant on the Vehicle Components DO35 hitch.

There are various brands around like http://www.selleys.com.au/home-cleaning ... ezy-glide/

I bought the Nulon Ezi-Glide as it has a holder on the lid for the tube extension.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year