Dump Point Horror Story

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

craigneryn

Dump Point Horror Story

Post by craigneryn » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:53 am

Hi Everyone,
I dont usually post but I considered this serious enough to rate a mention...

My wife, Eryn and I recently returned home from a two month trip... During our trip we unfortunately witnessed the most disgusting thing we have ever seen... I say this with some authority as Eryn has recently retired after forty years as a nurse and I have been a nurse, ambulance officer and an army medic... Here goes...

We were parked outside a public amenities block in a very small town... Although small, this town is at a fairly major junction and stop over for people travelling up to and around the gulf region... The public amenities had toilets, showers and a dump point...

While we were parked there a mobile home pulled up and parked near us... The driver got out, went to the rear of his vehicle, pulled out the toilet cassette then walked to the dump point... He placed the cassette on the ground opened it up and then picked up the hose and turned it on... He then shoved atleast 300mm of the hose into the cassette... When he was happy with the amount of water now inside the cassette he pulled the hose out and threw it on the ground... After emptying the cassette into the dump point and putting it back on the ground, he picked up the end of the hose, formed a spray with his finger, sprayed the outside of the cassette and then shoved the hose back into the cassette...

He then cupped his hand over the cassette outlet, holding the hose in place with his thumb, picked the cassette up and proceeded to shake it... I assume, endeavouring to dissolve what ever was left inside...

When he was happy, he put the cassette down, pulled out the hose and dropped it on the ground then emptied the cassette again... Obviously satisfied the cassette was empty and 'clean' he capped the cassette and then picked up the hose by the end, formed a spray and rinsed off the outside of the cassette again...

Once he was finished he turned off the hose, walked back to his vehicle with the cassette and put it back where it belonged... He then returned to the drivers seat and shut the door...

At no time did this person make any attempt to wear any form of personal protection...
At no time did this person make any attempt to wash his hands, before during or after the cleaning process...
At no time did this person make any attempt to disinfect the end of the hose or the tap before, during or after the cleaning process...

Unbeknown to us, a camper trailer had pulled up the other side of the mobile home... The passenger got out and went straight to the hose, turned it on, picked it up by the end and shoved atleast 300mm into the water tank filler...

We were a hundred metres from a public pottable water supply but hundreds of kilometres from any form of sterilisation to clean the tank... hundreds of kilometres from medical aid...

Unfortunately this was an isolated incident only in severity... Out of the many people we saw emptying toilet cassettes at dump points, only one person made any attempt at personal protection... He wore gloves, leather riggers gloves... Can you imagine what has been absorbed into the leather after multiple uses...

Have a nice holiday...

robcaz

Re: Dump Point Horror Story

Post by robcaz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:28 am

Hi Craig,

We have watched people using dump points in showgrounds & you can see most have no idea of how to go about the procedure in a safe hygienic manner, not only for themselves but also for others that will be using the system after. I wouldn't even think of getting drinking water from a hose at a dump point.

On another matter, don't get me going on the amount of loo paper left at bush campsites.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year