Camper Trailer Water pump

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

trueblue_10

Camper Trailer Water pump

Post by trueblue_10 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:30 pm

Hi all I am fitting a electric water pump to my camper for the sink/kitchen only. Getting a kickass 4.3L/m 35psi pump ($61). I am planning to use the current Trojan hand pump and place this electric pump in-between the 2 tank outlets I (2 x 60L tanks with Garden Hose fittings at back of trailer) and the Trojan hand pump. Seen 3 campers now send water via an electric pump through their hand pumps so thought I would do the same so I have the hand pump as backup. Any thoughts on this?

Also had to buy a water pump with a pressure switch (they all seem to come with them). I am only going to fit a on/off switch inline as I not really interested in the pressure switch function providing it flows water when I put the switch to on position. Anyone who has tried or done this please let me know your experience.

Finally have not heard much about the kickass pumps but see how they go. Have to get self priming pump (1.2m priming lead) as it will be positioned above the tanks.

robcaz

Re: Camper Trailer Water pump

Post by robcaz » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:35 pm

Hi,

I would assume if you connected a hand water pump to the water tank via a 12volt pressure water pump you could only use it with the 12volt pump & not pump it by hand through the 12volt pumps diaphragm. Most camper trailer water tanks that have a 12volt pressure water pump to a kitchen style tap at the sink & also have a hand pump as backup located elsewhere on the outside of the trailer.

The 12volt pressure water pumps used are usually around 10 litres per minute or more & have an inbuilt pulsation reducer, while caravans having more room use an accumulator tank. The pulsation reducer stops the water spitting if the kitchen tap is only turned on a little.

If a 12volt pressure pump is permanently connected to power, it does need an on/off switch which can be located near the tap or in the main fuse area. The pump is turned off while travelling or can also be turned off at night to avoid the pump coming on intermittently if a leak develops in a hose fitting. In your circumstances the switch is used to allow water to flow, so there will be no pressure in the line when not in use as with an on/off tap.

Use food grade hosing to avoid the plastic tainting of the water in the tank. I use garden hose snap-on fittings. To stop dust getting into the hose I have bought rubber stoppers from Clarke Rubber to fit both the male & female connectors & pushed a length of small gauge plastic coated 12volt cable through the end of the cap tying the loose end up as in this picture http://www.campertrailers.org/robswatertrans4.jpg It saves looking where the caps went. It only needs one small stone in the diaphragm to stop the water pump pulling water.

I used a PVC 12mm T fitting that I bought at Jayco to drain our camper trailer water tank http://www.campertrailers.org/watertank_drain.htm It is used by Jayco to switch between two water tanks so perhaps you could use this to switch between tanks.

I set up a water pump to transfer water from the jerrys to the water tank http://www.campertrailers.org/robs_water_transfer.htm
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

trueblue_10

Post by trueblue_10 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:59 am

Thanks Rob

Much appreciated description of your setup. I thought that the hand pump may have issues with an electric pump in the same line. I will test it before install. Just waiting on delivery of my pump.

Strange though I have seen the hand pump installed on the same line as the electric pump on 3 different campers. Hence I will test it.

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:33 am

I look forward to hear how you go.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year