Swap'n'Go or own bottles

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

irose_57

Swap'n'Go or own bottles

Post by irose_57 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:21 pm

Hi.

My camper has 4Kg gas bottles but they require refilling.

Do most people use Swap'n'Go these days or just have their own bottles refilled?

Thanks

Ian

robcaz

Re: Swap'n'Go or own bottles

Post by robcaz » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi Ian,

If your bottle is a common size like your 4kg, I think it will depend on where you are at the time, if you are travelling & the convenience of the situation when you have an empty gas bottle. BFC & Anaconda etc have refills at around $14, where as Bunnings swap & go is a few dollars more. The same 4kg size is listed as 3.7kg for swap & go. If you have a galvanised gas bottle you would no doubt have it refilled.

Our Primus gas bottle is 3.3kg & sits inside its own locker, http://www.robcaz.net/newcanvas2.JPG so we have no choice but to have it refilled. It has been inspected & re-certified twice in its lifetime, that is every ten years.
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Galpott

Post by Galpott » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:23 pm

We run 3 X 4.5kg bottles and always refill, pricing for refills for us have been $10.00 to $13.00 and we know the bottle is in date and safe. :D

irose_57

Post by irose_57 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:14 am

Thanks - I think I'll stay with the refill option.

Ian

armbrup

Post by armbrup » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:30 pm

What put me off in Broome when I tried to refill and all the refill sites were not available, was that the swap and go type bottles had no test date on them. This was at the service station at the big shopping centre out of town on the way to Cable Beach
It appears they have an exemption .
I was lucky enough to refill at the Imitji store and the bloke actually weighed my cylinder and only charged for the gas weight.
So just check particularly in WA that there is a test date on the bottle or you may be stuck doing it from then on.
Regards Philip A