Goldstream-Deal too good to be true???

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

Cockatoocamper

Goldstream-Deal too good to be true???

Post by Cockatoocamper » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:05 pm

We are in the market to buy a wind up camper trailer and have been looking at various Jayco models etc. In our local area, a second hand Goldstream camper has recently come up for sale but it seems to be a bit on the cheap side for a 2007 model Goldstream Star 2 which leads me to think that there might be something seriously wrong with it. It comes with 12 months rego too. They want $12k and most of the ones that I have seen are minimum $17k plus for that year model. Sure, it has no bells and whistles whatsoever, no annexe or outer bagged bed end flies (just the standard ones it comes with), no deep cycle battery, Anderson plug etc. It comes with a two way fridge, not a three. It is also an on road camper. It has also been stored outdoors in the weather (no cover and I know this because I have seen it parked outside for a couple of years now every time I have driven past). I had a look at it yesterday and the interior is immaculate, no mouldy smells that I could detect, all the canvas is in good shape no mould there either, everything inside is perfect. One of the bed end canvases has a minor repair on the outside but looks fine otherwise, zippers are good. Wind up mechanism works fine, just some cosmetic surface rust on metal raisers. Under the camper, it looks tidy, no broken welds or anything else sinister. Just a little bit of surface rust on the suspension leaf springs, that is about all I could find. I did notice that the plastics on powerpoint covers has degraded a bit, probably from being out in uv for so long. Would we be silly to buy this camper? What are peoples' thoughts? Should we buy it or go for something Jayco????????????????? I would be VERY grateful for advice from the knowledgeable people of this forum as we are total newbies!

robcaz

Re: Goldstream-Deal too good to be true???

Post by robcaz » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:11 pm

While you see the asking price of camper trailers in ads, the seller may not get what they want in the end. Some campers have way too much on them & I think people want the money back from the extras they have spent. The campers tend to sit there for a very long time before the price is eventually dropped & the camper is sold.

Goldstream seem to have a better reputation for internal build strength over Jayco on corrugated roads. Canvas is expensive to replace so if this is in good condition you are way in front. If the chassis is galvanised there will most likely be no rust inside it.

I think you may need to go on your gut feeling here & bite the bullet if all looks ok after a good crawl over the camper. You could just be in the right place at the right time...... I always turn up tomorrow :lol:

Also be aware if the camper has been sitting for some time the tyres may have deteriorated & could be dangerous towing at high speeds http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/pas ... e/age.aspx

Don't forget to check & regrease the bearings too.

Here is a check list that may help you make a decision http://www.campertrailers.org/camper_bu ... cklist.htm
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year