Best camper for solo long term travel

everything camper trailers, trips, tips, tricks & mods

Moderators: krp102, Coxy68, robcaz

merryteeth

Best camper for solo long term travel

Post by merryteeth » Sun May 24, 2015 10:56 am

I know there is a lot of information on here and it's great. However, I have been looking for several months (seriously looking but a lot longer on and off) for a camper trailer and find it just too confusing... I look for a while and then my head explodes with all the variety.
I will be travelling alone (well fur babies are people but they can't help set up) for several months at a time, not hard core off road, but self sufficent camping as much as possible and some what off the beaten track, mostly 3-4 day stays, but overnights as well with the occaisional longer stay of 1-2 weeks, but that would proably include a powered park stay for clothes washing and the like.
My must have requirements are:
- one person set up. I don't mind setting up for an hour for a long stay, but it must be able to be set up to basic for overnight reasonably easily (under 30 mins for bed, kettle for a cuppa, and a simple meal) I am a fit and healthy woman and reasonably handly with a spanner or screwdriver, but I am in my 50s and can't lift huge weights! lol
- adaptable power set up, to suit solar, 12v and 240v, I wont be running more than a small fridge, and lights, but need to be ableto free camp for 3 to 4 days without running vehicle, dont want to go the generator option as 'green factor' is important to me;
- storage and kitchen not so important, will be towed by Navara DC with plenty of storage as it is just dogs and me and I travel very light. Happy to have no shower/toilet, and a small gas or butane stove is enough. I don't need to cook fancy, I could eat crackers or a sandwich every night and be happy!
So far I have concluded that a hard floor might be best, but they are pretty expensive, but I am not sure about setting up the soft floor campers on my own. I would love to be able to afford an Aussie Swag camper deluxe model, but as I only have about half the budget of that, I am looking at other options. My max budget fully set up (ie ready to drive off for 6 months or more, is $20k) but I do need to fit out my car (it needs 12v and canopy, I need a fridge, and other camping gear as most of mine has gone) I am happy to buy a good outfit and do modifications, ie upgrade the electrics, as long as the bones are good, but it would need to all come in under that budget, I could stretch it a little ( maybe) If my budget is unrealistic, politely letting me know would be appreicated as well!
Thanks in advance for any help, advice, tips or comments you may have.
Meredith
Brisbane

armbrup

Re: Best camper for solo long term travel

Post by armbrup » Sun May 24, 2015 1:38 pm

IMHO a older Camp'o'matic hard floor camper from say 1997-2004 would fit your requirements at under 20K.

You would have to make sure it has or fit a winch to enable single pack up, although setup is just a matter of undoing 2 clips and slide bolt. I have a 1997 which did not have a winch , and I bought a $50 one and made a pole myself which attached to the stone deflector.
An advantage of a Camp'o'matic is that the awning can remain attached for pack up, and this allows the option of leaving it across the main tent for one night camping, or flipping it over for bad weather or extended stays. To pack up I just push the awning over the top with an extended pole ( a trick I learned from here a long time ago AFAIR) and I tie the corners to loops that are present on each corner of the roof.
The kitchens are not super slick like new campers as they have cast iron burners , but they work well.
They are also 12V and 240 V equipped , and may or may not have a battery depending on the model.

The Camp'o'matics also generally have a light ball weight which means you can move them around easily. Other campers with extended A frames can have ball weights up to 200Kgs which I think is ridiculous.

I have a 1997,Weekender which is the lowest spec and lightest Camp'o'matic with no fridge or battery, but IMHO these are better in the car anyway, as who needs independent lights when you are not there? I have just made up an extension lead which goes from a 12V Merit socket on my bumper to the 7 pin plug on my camper, so that I can park anywhere within reason and have lights.
Regards Philip A

robcaz

Post by robcaz » Sun May 24, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi Meredith,

I think you are looking down the right path at a rear fold hard floor style camper trailer for a one person set up. The canvas of a soft floor camper can be heavy to pull over the trailer particularly when it is wet.

You may find a preloved Cub camper will more than suit your needs. They come in a range of models with most having a pull out kitchen & storage under the bed. They also feature the ezywind system to help make the raising & lowering of the hard floor an simple process http://www.cubcampers.com.au/why-cub/famous-ezy-wind

The awning roof can be left on & pulled out if needed saving heaps of time in setting up or using a ladder on uneven ground. There is a trick in getting the awning roof back over when packing up by half closing the camper, but it would be better to see how to do this at a weekend get together.

Check out our camper trader page for a preloved Cub http://www.campertrailers.org/camper_trader.htm

A rule of thumb for a 12volt/240volt fridge set up is a 100 amp hour deep cycle battery & a 100 watt solar panel. If you are going to run additional 12volt accessories like a laptop charger etc a 120 amp hour deep cycle battery & a 120 watt solar panel will get you out of trouble. LED lighting does not use that much power.

The battery can be mounted in the rear of your vehicle next to the fridge & can be charged while driving or via the solar panel. You can go as simple as you like with a battery isolator between the starter & the auxiliary battery so both are automatically separated when camped or more complex like a DC-DC charger http://www.campertrailers.org/bcdc1225_install.htm

You will find Richard's solar spreadsheet a good starting point in working out a 12volt system to suit your own needs http://www.campertrailers.org/solar_spreadsheet.htm

If you get a chance it would be an advantage to get along to one of the weekend get togethers out of Brisbane & have a look at a range of campers & chat to members. You do not need a camper trailer to attend & you are more than welcome to drop in for the day. There is a meet next weekend http://www.campertrailers.org/atkinsons_dam15_meet.htm
happy camping
Rob & Carol
Australian CamperTrailers Group co-owner

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

GEOFF.PAULINE

Post by GEOFF.PAULINE » Sun May 24, 2015 3:43 pm

Hi. Merryteeth

I think Rob as usual has supplied a lot of great information for you to look at .

I'm just adding that I think a Cub is the way to go. We own a large forward folding Camper and it takes the 2 of us to open it . I like the above post have fitted an additional winch on the back of the camper so I could probably do it on my own now with a lot of effort.

I watch a lot of the members opening/closing their Cubs and they look a lot easier.

Good luck with it.

Geoff.
MDC Expedition Crusader
Nissan Navara D 40
" Live each day as though it's your last , Because one day you will be right."

merryteeth

Post by merryteeth » Mon May 25, 2015 3:30 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. It confirms what I thought, that a hard floor is the way to go for me. I do like the more basic style of camper with a soft floor, but like tenting, it is a bit harder each day to set it all up and you have to accept your limitations as you get older, I don't want to stop travelling, that is for sure. As some one says you can add a winch if it doesnt have one and make other modifications to allow for my physical limitations.
I hope to get to a meet and check some of vans out. That really is the best way to go.
Cheers and happy travels
Meredith